Dental Crowns by Dr. Jacob Grapevine, D.D.S.
What could be more important to your appearance than your smile? Sometimes a cosmetic dental crown can completely change the way you feel about your teeth. Today anyone can have a modern, superior-quality crown to correct cosmetic or medical problems. Our cosmetic dentistry in Plano, TX offers dental crowns for a range of dental problems.
Dr. Grapevine will help you select which is right for you. In most cases, Dr. Grapevine will recommend porcelain dental crowns because they provide structural healthiness and long-term durability.
What is a dental crown? A dental crown is a tooth-shaped mold that consists of zirconia and porcelain that fits over whatever remains of the tooth. Dr. Jacob Grapevine recommends crowns after root canals to protect your tooth structure and prevent long-term dental problems. A crown won’t chip or fracture. Today’s crowns look just like real teeth, with the right color and hue. There are many types of materials that your dentist can use for tooth crowns as well.
Dr. Grapevine may recommend a dental crown for a wide range of cosmetic and dental health concerns:
- To strengthen a tooth after a root canal
- Make your teeth appear straight
- Cover discoloration
- Make your bite more comfortable
- After wisdom teeth surgery
- They can correct a close bite
- Make a weakened or worn-looking tooth appear healthy
- Solution for a fractured, decayed, or chipped tooth
- Replace an old metal filling
Dental Crowns Procedure
Dr. Grapevine will begin by fitting the patient for the crown. Dr. Grapevine will also try out various dental cement colors to match the permanent crown. He will make sure that it matches the color of the surrounding teeth for a seamless look. Then, Dr. Grapevine places a temporary crown made of tooth-colored plastic. It will be comfortable and functional for you to wear while the lab is making the permanent crown.
In some cases, Dr. Grapevine may use a false tooth called a “Flipper” instead of a temporary crown.
After about two weeks, you’re ready for the permanent crown. First, our dentist in Plano, TX must stabilize your tooth. This involves putting a filling in place before cementing your permanent crown onto the tooth.
Dental crowns are sometimes called “caps” because the dentist places them over the tooth; essentially covering the entire tooth structure. The porcelain dental crown material is extremely natural-looking. The dentist crafts the restorations in fine layers so they reflect light the same way that natural tooth enamel does.
Dr. Grapevine follows a simple process for treatment with dental crowns:
- Consultation & Evaluation. First, you will see Dr. Grapevine for a consultation and evaluation. Here, he will examine your teeth, gums, and mouth to diagnose your condition. Dr. Grapevine will outline a personalized treatment plan to address any functional or health concerns and achieve your cosmetic goals.
- Preparation. Next, the dentist prepares the tooth to accept the dental crown. He will remove any old fillings to create a solid base for the porcelain dental crown. Dr. Grapevine will take an impression and select a color for the dental crown to match the natural teeth.
- Temporary Dental Crown. In many cases, Dr. Grapevine will create a temporary dental crown to protect the tooth. Our dental lab makes the final restoration and sends it to us when it’s ready.
- Final Fit & Cementation. When it arrives from the lab, you will try on the dental crown for fit, shape, and color. Your dentist will make any minor adjustments before he permanently bonds the dental crown to your tooth.
Dental Crown Aftercare
Caring for your dental crowns after your final appointment is easy. A regular routine of dental cleanings and examinations will help to identify any issues that might arise after the procedure. Dental porcelains are highly resistant to stains so you can be sure that your porcelain dental crowns will look white and bright for years to come.
Dental Crown Before & After
Dr. Grapevine achieves natural-looking results that will last a lifetime.
See more dental crown before and after photos in our Smile Gallery
Our Patients Say It Best
“I was enormously impressed with the work that Dr. Grapevine put into designing the crowns, so they would look amazing. The process was as painless as possible and before I knew it, I had the teeth that I had always wanted. I love to smile now, I don’t feel like I have to hide my teeth, and I actually like having my picture taken.”
Dental Crown FAQs
How long will my tooth crown last?
Tooth crowns usually last ten to fifteen years. With proper dental care and a great oral hygiene routine, they can last longer. If your crown is causing you pain or discomfort, it means that it’s time to get a new one.
Can a dentist whiten a dental crown?
Not really. You can not whiten a crown using traditional teeth whitening methods. However, you can take steps to prevent stains and reduce the effect of discolored teeth at home. Try rinsing your mouth with a baking soda and saltwater mix a couple of times a week. You can also reduce your coffee and soda consumption, as well as smokeless tobacco.
Do I always need a dental crown after a root canal?
Yes, a dentist should use a dental crown after almost all root canals to strengthen and reinforce the tooth. Without structural reinforcement, your tooth becomes very susceptible to further decay, fractures, and tooth damage. Your tooth can also develop permanent sensitivity to hot and cold foods if not properly protected.
Schedule a Dental Exam Today
Visit our family dentistry for dental crowns in Plano, Texas by Dr. Jacob Grapevine. We are your top source for prosthodontics in Plano, Frisco, Dallas, and other surrounding communities near you. Give us a call today at (972) 449-5759, or request a dental exam online and we will get back to you shortly.