Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, is a condition that is often caused by stress to the jaw joints. Many patients with anxiety, crooked teeth, or TMJ disorders also have bruxism. Dr. Jacob Grapevine treats bruxism in his Plano, TX dental office. He is able to diagnose his patients and provide comfortable solutions to this painful dental problem. It is important to treat bruxism before it worsens in order to prevent tooth and jaw damage or wear.
Signs of Bruxism
Common symptoms of bruxism often include:
- Jaw pain
- Worn tooth enamel
- Chips and cracks in teeth
- Tooth pain
- Tense jaw and facial muscles
- Fractured teeth
- Chronic headaches
Contact Dr. Grapevine if you have noticed any of these signs of bruxism. Many patients may not realize they have bruxism because they clench their jaw and grind their teeth at night. At routine appointments, we often take x-rays and keep track of patients’ oral health visually to look out for these problems.
Treatments for Teeth Grinding
There are multiple solutions that address bruxism:
- Nightguards: Nightguards are custom mouthguards that are worn to protect the teeth when patients are asleep. These oral appliances also take pressure off of the jaw and prevent further wear to the tooth enamel. Nightguards can also help put the jaw in a more comfortable position.
- Bite Alignment Therapy: Crooked teeth or tooth misalignment are common causes of bruxism. Dr. Grapevine may recommend orthodontic treatments to realign the teeth and address bruxism at the source.
- Cosmetic Repairs: After treating their tooth grinding, some patients may need cosmetic dental treatment to address worn and damaged teeth. Some treatments that we offer that protect teeth and improve the aesthetics of the smile include porcelain veneers, tooth bonding, and dental crowns.
Request a Dental Consultation
If you are a new patient of Dr. Grapevine, call his Plano dental office at (972) 268-6480. Current patients may call (972) 596-3702. You may also request a dental appointment with Dr. Grapevine and his team on our website. Please let Dr. Grapevine and his dental team know if you have any questions and they will be happy to assist you.